Serve on a citizen commission

Adam Curtis Public Affairs Press Releases

Local residents are invited to serve on one of the City’s boards, commissions, and committees that provide citizen input and advice in particular areas of focus.

Numerous commissions currently have vacancies and each one has a unique focus like disability issues, tourism, and cultural diversity. While most are non-regulatory, some like the Planning and Zoning Commission play a formal regulatory role. All commission members apply for two-year terms and their appointments are approved by the City Council.

To serve as a full voting member of a board or commission, a person must be a resident in the Sierra Vista postal boundaries or, for certain boards and commissions, within the City limits. Many commissions also welcome associate members who can participate in meetings and activities without casting formal votes. There is no residency requirement for associate members.

Learn more about particular commissions, their missions, and vacant seats on the Commissions, Boards, & Committees webpage.

Applications are available online or at City Hall. For more information, contact City Clerk Jill Adams at (520) 458-3315 or