Volunteers needed to serve on citizen commissions

Adam Curtis Public Affairs Press Releases

Local residents are invited to serve on one of more than a dozen citizen boards and commissions that assist the City Council by gathering information, considering issues, and organizing events in particular areas of interest.

Each commission has a unique focus ranging from cultural diversity to tourism. Some, like the West End Commission, are tied to certain locations or City facilities, while others, like the Commission on Disability Issues, are focused on a particular area of interest. Commission members apply for two-year terms and their appointments are approved by the City Council.

The following seven commissions have at least four current and/or upcoming vacancies: the Arts and Humanities Commission, the Commission on Disability Issues, the Commission on Cultural Diversity, the Library Advisory Commission, the Planning and Zoning Commission, the Tourism Commission, and the Youth Commission. There are available seats in several other commissions as well.

To serve as a full voting member of a board or commission, a person must be a resident in the Sierra Vista postal boundaries or, for certain boards and commissions, within the City limits. Many commissions also welcome associate members who can participate in meetings and activities without casting formal votes. There is no residency requirement for associate members.

To learn more about particular commissions, their missions, and available seats, click here.

Applications are available online or at City Hall. For more information, contact City Clerk Jill Adams at (520) 458-3315 or Jill.Adams@nullSierraVistaAZ.gov.