The Southeastern Arizona DUI Task Force cited employees at nine businesses in Cochise County during a Covert Underage Buyers (CUB) detail conducted in cooperation with the Arizona Governor’s Office of Highway Safety and the Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses and Control on Friday, Aug. 17.
The task force targeted 39 businesses in the Cochise County based on previous enforcement of liquor violations, complaints from citizens, and other factors. The operation was conducted by four teams of Sierra Vista Police Department officers, Cochise County Sheriff’s Office deputies, Douglas Police Department officers, Bisbee Police Department officers, and Tombstone Marshal’s Office deputies, with the assistance of eight Covert Underage Buyers. The following businesses sold or furnished alcohol to the underage volunteers and were appropriately cited:
- Food City 85 S. Hwy 92 (Sierra Vista)
- Bonnie’s Lounge 6310 S. Hwy 92 (Hereford)
- Santiago’s Restaurant 1 Howell Ave (Bisbee)
- Old Bisbee Brewing Company 200 Brewery Ave (Bisbee)
- Copper Queen Hotel Saloon 11 Howell Ave. (Bisbee)
- Warehouse Bar 525 E. 13th Street (Douglas)
- Circle K 330 N. Huachuca Blvd. (Huachuca City)
- Mescal Bar & Grill 70 N. Cherokee Trail (Benson)
- Benson Fuel 103 W 4th Street (Benson)
The remaining businesses acted appropriately by checking the CUB’s identification card, which clearly indicated he or she was under 21.
“Through persistent enforcement and education, the CUB program seeks to ensure businesses train their employees to properly check identification when customers purchase alcohol,” says SVPD Cpl. Tim Wachtel, coordinator of the Southeastern Arizona DUI Task Force.