Selected excerpts from the Sierra Vista Animal Code
It shall be unlawful for any person to interfere with the Animal Control Officer or his designee in the enforcement of the provisions of this Chapter or ARS Title 11. [Section 90.50.C.]
No person shall own, keep, or harbor any dog within the city limits unless the dog is licensed. [ Section.90.02.C.] NOTE: Proof of rabies vaccination is required to obtain a license. Dog Licenses may be obtained 90 days prior to and for 90 days after the start of the calendar year. After the 90 days a penalty of 50 percent shall be assessed. [Section 90.02.E.]
Any person who knowingly fails within 15 days after written notification from the Animal Control Officer or his designee to obtain a license for a dog required to be licensed may be cited. [Section 90.02.F.]
An annual fee for every dog over four months of age shall be paid as follows: (1) Intact dogs: $20 per dog, (2) Spayed/neutered dogs: $5 per dog, (3) Dogs 10 years and older: $5 per dog. [Section 90.02.G.] Persons who are 62 years and older shall be $2 per dog license. No more than four dogs per household shall be licensed at this rate.
The owner shall keep his dog under restraint at all times and shall not permit such dog to be at large, off the premises or property of the owner unless on a leash and under the control of a competent person. [Section 90.04]
The owner shall confine within a building or enclosure every vicious animal, and not take such animal out of confinement unless leashed and securely muzzled. [Section 90.04.A.] Every female dog in heat shall be kept confined in the owner’s building, a veterinary hospital, or boarding kennel, in such a manner that such female dog cannot come in contact with a male dog. [Section 90.05.C.]
It shall be unlawful for any person to maintain a dog in such a manner that it constitutes a public nuisance. A public nuisance animal is one that:
- Damages the property of anyone other than its owner,
- Molests, intimidates, or injures pedestrians or passersby
- Chases vehicles
- Makes excessively disturbing noises like continued and repeated howling, barking, whining, or other utterances causing unreasonable annoyance to others in close proximity to where the dog is kept. [Section 90.06.A.]
Any impounded animal not reclaimed after 72 hours may be humanely destroyed, donated for medical research, or placed for adoption. [Section 90.08.A.]
Any person or establishment owning or having care, control, or custody of an animal shall provide:
- Sufficient food on a daily basis that is free from contamination, sufficient quantity and of nutritive value to maintain the animal in good health.
- Clean potable water at all times, either free flowing or in a clean receptacle.
- Convenient access to natural or artificial shelter throughout the year.
- Medical treatment and care for debilitating injuries, parasites, and disease, sufficient to maintain the animal in good health.
- Adequate exercise space. [Section 90.40.C.1,2,3,4,5.]
Any questions pertaining to the Sierra Vista City Code, Title 9, Chapter 90-Animals, can be answered by telephoning or visiting the shelter during business hours.