Visit the Job Opportunities page to find open positions and to review the minimum qualifications.
- Submit a basic online application through the Job Opportunities page.
- When your application is received, you will receive an email that will allow you to schedule your test date. Written and physical tests are conducted in-person on the same day. Bring a typing certificate with you when you come to test, or submit it in advance to Human Resources.
- Download the Police Officer Background Questionnaire. After passing both the written and physical tests, submit the Background Questionnaire to Human Resources as soon as possible.
In-State Lateral Applicants
A lateral applicant:
- Holds current, full authority Arizona POST Peace Officer Certification or be eligible for certification reinstatement (certification inactive less than three years.)
- Meet the Sierra Vista Police Department’s minimum requirements.
- Must take a general vocabulary, reading, and comprehension exam.
If hired, a lateral applicant does not need to attend the police academy. Applicants must successfully pass each step of the hiring process to continue on to the next.
- Submit the online application, Police Officer Background Questionnaire, typing certificate, and required documentation (listed on the front page of the Background Questionnaire).
- The Police Department’s recruiter will contact you to let you know if the Department would like to invite you to visit Sierra Vista to complete the tests required for the job.
- During the first trip applicants will be scheduled for the following: a written exam, a physical fitness exam, and an oral board interview. Applicants must successfully pass each step of the hiring process to continue onto the next.
- Successful applicants may be asked to return at a later date to complete the hiring process, which includes a polygraph examination, psychological examination, drug screen, and medical examination. This step can take a full week to complete.
The entire hiring process for out-of-state applicants is usually completed in two or three trips to Sierra Vista. Out-of-state applicants who hold out-of-state peace officer certifications will be required to attend a full Arizona Peace Officer Academy.
All new hires are provided their salary, an unmarked City vehicle, gas, lodging, and per diem while attending the academy.