Visit the Job Opportunities page to find open positions and to review the minimum qualifications.
- Submit a basic online application through the Job Opportunities page.
- When your application is received, you will receive an email that will allow you to schedule your test date. Written and physical tests are conducted in-person on the same day. Bring a typing certificate with you when you come to test, or submit it in advance to Human Resources.
- Download the Police Officer Background Questionnaire. After passing both the written and physical tests, submit the Background Questionnaire to Human Resources as soon as possible.
In-State Lateral Applicants
A lateral applicant:
- Holds current, full authority Arizona POST Peace Officer Certification or be eligible for certification reinstatement (certification inactive less than three years.)
- Meet the Sierra Vista Police Department’s minimum requirements.
- Must take a general vocabulary, reading, and comprehension exam.
If hired, a lateral applicant does not need to attend the police academy. Applicants must successfully pass each step of the hiring process to continue on to the next.
- Submit the online application, Police Officer Background Questionnaire, typing certificate, and required documentation (listed on the front page of the Background Questionnaire).
- Human Resources will contact you to let you know if the Department would like to invite you to visit Sierra Vista to complete the tests required for the job.
- During the first trip applicants will be scheduled for the following: a written exam, a physical fitness exam, and an oral board interview. Applicants must successfully pass each step of the hiring process to continue onto the next.
- Successful applicants may be asked to return at a later date to complete the hiring process, which includes a polygraph examination, psychological examination, drug screen, and medical examination. This step can take a full week to complete.
The entire hiring process for out-of-state applicants is usually completed in two or three trips to Sierra Vista. Out-of-state applicants who hold out-of-state peace officer certifications will be required to attend a full Arizona Peace Officer Academy.
All new hires are provided their salary, an unmarked City vehicle, gas, lodging, and per diem while attending the academy.